stem from the joints, the muscles, bite alignment, or the nervous system associated with these areas. Symptoms that signify a problem vary, so only an experienced and trained professional will be able to provide a positive diagnosis. Symptoms can appear suddenly, or may present as a result of trauma or injury. Proper diagnosis may involve answering questions, x-rays, a clinical exam, evaluation of symptoms, and possibly a CT scan.
Symptoms that warrant seeking professional evaluation include:
- Pain in the face, ears, jaws, or unexplained headaches
- Muffled or clogged hearing
- Pain or clicking sounds when chewing
- Stiff or fatigued facial muscles upon waking, when yawning, or from speaking
- Clenching teeth when sleeping or awake
- Headaches in temples
- Difficulty in opening mouth freely, smoothly, or sufficiently
- Situations in which the jaw seems to feel locked in position, whether open or shut
- Development of improper bite alignment
- Discomfort when biting, or painful chewing
- Teeth chipped or worn on edges
- Noticeable overbite
- Shifting of teeth, gaps, or crowding for no apparent reason
Any of these troublesome signs could indicate a problem with your TMJ. Assistance is available to help correct these issues, relieve pain and discomfort, and restore healthier function. To schedule a personal evaluation, call CCID. Proper treatment now may avoid complex issues in the future. We will provide education on treatment options available, and in some cases may refer you to a chiropractor to coordinate complete care. At CCID, your health is our priority.